I hung onto my athlete identity for far longer than I should have after suffering a career-ending injury in a high school football game. For years I attempted to hold onto something that I knew was over when my surgeon told me I would never set foot on a football field again. When he told me that, my platform for proving my worth to the world was gone. This is a very scary and lonely place for athletes to be. I wish I could have talked to episode 109 guest and former Tennessee Volunteer, Derrick Furlow Jr. back in 2007 to learn how to translate the same qualities that made me a successful athlete into a success in other areas of my life. At one point during our interview, Derrick said that sports are "a temporary platform for a permanent purpose." Sports end for everyone, but success and happiness don't need to after your athletic career does. Derrick provides us with a roadmap on how to transition like a champion in his new book Whats Next?
Topics of conversation from episode 109 are listed below:
- Where the inspiration for writing Whats Next? How to Transition Like a Champion came from.
- Why non-athletes can also benefit from this book.
- The struggles Derrick has seen a lot of his teammates and friends go through in their transitions.
- How Derrick helps athletes apply lessons they learned in sports to the next phase of their life and applying skillsets.
- What happened when Derrick sent text messages to 100 guys and 100 females asking what they learned from sports.
"If you cant manage small paper, you can't manage tall paper"
- Why it is important to learn how to manage money even when you don’t have a lot of money.
- The story of Derrick’s ACL injury which forced him to miss his senior season of high school football and the translatable skills learned from that experience.
- The role that faith played in Derrick's life and athletic career and why adversity forces you to listen to God's plan.
- Derrick’s strategy for earning a scholarship at the University of Tennessee and the power of adding value in every facet of your life.
- Inky Johnson’s Injury (below) and the impact it had on Derrick and his teammates. Inky is definitely someone we need to have on the show in 2018!
- How to get out of what Derrick calls "identity jail."
"You see a little, you see a lot. you see a lot, you see nothing."
- Lessons learned from playing under coach Lane Kiffin.
- Derrick's thoughts on health and safety in the sport of football.
- Why it's better to be the hunter rather than the hunted if you want to stay healthy.
- Why you need to get your mind right before you get your grind right in your transition to life after sports.