After each week of NFL football games for the 2017-2018 season, the Heads 'N Tales podcast will be posting an episode dedicated to injuries and health & safety topics surrounding the NFL. Specifically we will talk about possible prevention strategies, the rulebook, equipment and other injury buzz around the league. My co-host and strategist for these episodes will be one of my closest friends, Josh Boyd (hence the J in "JK"..I'm the K...). Josh and I grew up playing baseball together. Josh was a division-1 center fielder for Monmouth University and experienced his fair share of injuries throughout his career. Although Josh never played organized football, the dude flat-out knows the game of football and undoubtably knows more about the ins-and-outs of the sport better than I do from both a fan and x's & o's perspective. Our intention for these episodes is to spark conversations around topics that are usually brushed under the rug or only minimally covered in the hopes of making football and all sports safer for the athletes who play them.
You are currently looking at the show notes for Week 3!
Week 3 Injuries:
- Darren Sproles, RB Philadelphia Eagles, ACL/Broken Arm (Same Play)
- Melvin Gordon, RB Los Angeles Chargers, Knee
- Kelvin Benjamin, WR Carolina Panthers, Leg (Same Leg as 2015 ACL)
- Doug Baldin, WR Seattle Seahawks, Groin
- Gerald McCoy, DT Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Ankle
Week 2 Fines/Week 3 Illegal Hits:
- Buster Skrine (NYJ) helmet-to-helmet hit on DeAndre Washington (OAK)
- Chris Conte (TB) helmet-to-helmet hit on Josh Bellamy
- "If you play safety, you are going to get fined."
- (CLEAN HIT) Pass Break-Up vs Michael Crabtree (OAK) 4th quarter, Safety didn't use crown of helmet (shoulder to numbers).
- Jimmy Ward Safety 49ers on Robert Woods
- Richard Sherman (Seattle) hit out of bounds on Marcus Mariota (Tennesee)
- Took his own guy out in the process
- Clearly led with his head
- Sherman now wearing a Ridell Revolution Speed Helmet instead of VICIS
- Offsetting penalties is BS for this play
- Von Miller (DEN), unsportsmanlike conduct, pretending to help on Tyrod Taylor (BUF),
- The NFL needs to lighten up on stuff like this! This is comedy!
While on the topic of injuries:
- Richard Sherman's take NFL Injury Report/Gambling, Vegas Issue