After each week of NFL football games for the 2017-2018 season, the Heads 'N Tales podcast will be posting an episode dedicated to injuries and health & safety topics surrounding the NFL. Specifically we will talk about possible prevention strategies, the rulebook, equipment and other injury buzz around the league. My co-host and strategist for these episodes will be one of my closest friends, Josh Boyd (hence the J in "JK"..I'm the K...). Josh and I grew up playing baseball together. Josh was a division-1 center fielder for Monmouth University and experienced his fair share of injuries throughout his career. Although Josh never played organized football, the dude flat-out knows the game of football and undoubtably knows more about the ins-and-outs of the sport better than I do from both a fan and x's & o's perspective. Our intention for these episodes is to spark conversations around topics that are usually brushed under the rug or only minimally covered in the hopes of making football and all sports safer for the athletes who play them.
You are currently looking at the show notes for Week 10!
Week 10 Injuries:
Martellus Bennett (TE, Green Bay & now New England) went from getting cut by Packers to active for Patriots in 4 days
- Looks like he is feeling pretty good to me (See video below)
After disagreeing on the severity of his shoulder injury, the Packers released Bennett with a “failure to disclose an injury” designation after Week 9.
Daniel Lasko, New Orleans, RB taken off the field in stretcher on kickoff coverage
- Sparks discussion on kickoffs, touchbacks, the Patriots and what happens when you try to be like the patriots (see below)
If Devonta Freeman misses MNF, it will end the 2nd longest active starting streak for RBs at 30.— Gregg Rosenthal (@greggrosenthal) November 13, 2017
Frank Gore has the longest at *102*
Joe Haden, CB Pittsburgh, Fractured Fibula, Out 3-8 weeks
- Jones MCL 3-6 Weeks
- Montgomery Ribs Week to Week
Richard Sherman, CB Seattle, Ruptured Achilles, Out for the year
- Players speak out on their dislike for Thursday Night games
- Richard Sherman wrote a Players Tribune Article about his hate for Thursday night games last year
Stats provided by Football Outsiders says the data does not show a correlation between TNF and higher rates of injury.
- Good Morning America's take on Thursday Night Games with Tony Reali (below)
- The players benefit financially from TNF
Russell Wilson, QB Seattle, Concussion protocol issue
- Team could be fined $150,000 for violating the league concussion protocol
- Is the team really at fault for a situation like this?
- Did the blue tent blow this out of proportion?
- The idea of a helmet penalty box is brought up as a potential solution
Jacoby Brissett, QB Indianapolis, More concussion protocol issues
- Brings up a discussion on "Concussion Body Language"
#NFL #concussion protocol is a fraud. QB Jacoby Brissett goes back in after showing the clearest concussions signs of the season. Helmet-to-helmet hit, holds head, then goes limp, then needs help up. You don't need a protocol to hold this player out for the game. Check the tape: pic.twitter.com/db8sDwVmVl— Chris Nowinski, Ph.D. (@ChrisNowinski1) November 12, 2017
- Delayed onset of concussion symptoms are a real thing (Kevin shares his personal experience)
Non-Injury News, FInes & Updates from week 9:
Vontaze Burfict, Ejected for Making contact with official
- Flagged for late hit out of bounds on Titans RB earlier in the game
- This contact with the ref is what ultimately got him ejected from the game
- He obviously shows no remorse and embraces the persona, but how is this affecting his team?
Teddy Bridgewater, QB Minnesota, Returns from ACL/Major Knee Surgery
- Heads 'N Tales worthy for sure! We will definitely be rooting for this guy!
Marquise Goodwin, WR, 49ers, Feel-goodish story