After each week of NFL football games for the 2017-2018 season, the Heads 'N Tales podcast will be posting an episode dedicated to injuries and health & safety topics surrounding the NFL. Specifically we will talk about possible prevention strategies, the rulebook, equipment and other injury buzz around the league. My co-host and strategist for these episodes will be one of my closest friends, Josh Boyd (hence the J in "JK"..I'm the K...). Josh and I grew up playing baseball together. Josh was a division-1 center fielder for Monmouth University and experienced his fair share of injuries throughout his career. Although Josh never played organized football, the dude flat-out knows the game of football and undoubtably knows more about the ins-and-outs of the sport better than I do from both a fan and x's & o's perspective. Our intention for these episodes is to spark conversations around topics that are usually brushed under the rug or only minimally covered in the hopes of making football and all sports safer for the athletes who play them.
You are currently looking at the show notes for Week 13!
Week 13 Injuries:
Zach Ertz, TE Philadelphia, Concussion Protocol
- Get your binoculars out (below)!
Alec Olgetree, LB LA RAms, Elbow
- Alec shares his thoughts on the injury and how is ego got in the way of him coming out of the game. A message worthy of a Heads 'N Tales stamp of approval!
- Some think he might have injured his arm on this pick-six flip into the endzone.
Matt Stafford, QB Detroit, Hand/Wrist
- Kevin shares war stories from the high school days about how the hands are constantly getting "banged up."
Tyrod Taylor, QB Buffalo, Knee
- No Structural Damage, Bruised Knee Cap
Jimmy Smith, CB Bal, Achilles (Out For Year)
- + 4 Game PED suspension
- Similar to Richard Sherman, lingering injury
Tre’davious White, CB Buffalo, Concussion Protocol (Gronk Hit)
- Gronk suspended 1 game pending appeal
- Discussion about hits after the whistle/outside the lines
- Should they be considered assault?
CJ Fiedorowicz, TE Hou, Concussion (3rd this year)
- Missed 8 games earlier in year due to Concussion Week 1
Aaron Rodgers Back at Practice
- Will the Packers still be in the playoff hunt when he returns?
My Cause My Cleats (Josh & Kevin's Choices)
- Josh chose Autism Speaks because of the work he did with autistic students after college.
- Kevin chose the High Fives Foundation, which was founded by episode 85 guest, Roy Tuscany, because of the work they do for athletes who suffer life-altering injuries and their injury prevention educational resources.