After each week of NFL football games for the 2017-2018 season, the Heads 'N Tales podcast will be posting an episode dedicated to injuries and health & safety topics surrounding the NFL. Specifically we will talk about possible prevention strategies, the rulebook, equipment and other injury buzz around the league. My co-host and strategist for these episodes will be one of my closest friends, Josh Boyd (hence the J in "JK"..I'm the K...). Josh and I grew up playing baseball together. Josh was a division-1 center fielder for Monmouth University and experienced his fair share of injuries throughout his career. Although Josh never played organized football, the dude flat-out knows the game of football and undoubtably knows more about the ins-and-outs of the sport better than I do from both a fan and x's & o's perspective. Our intention for these episodes is to spark conversations around topics that are usually brushed under the rug or only minimally covered in the hopes of making football and all sports safer for the athletes who play them.
You are currently looking at the show notes for Week 16!
Week 16 Injuries:
Landon Collins, S, New York Giants: Season-Ending Forearm injury
- Nice and clean hit, unfortunate that he hurt himself in the process... Not sure if there is anything that could have prevented this one.
- Giants were already irrelevant.
Demarco Murray, RB, Tennessee Titans: Knee injury, MCL? Mixed reports (Wants to play Sunday)
- Most significant injury of the week with playoff implications.
Damiere Byrd, WR, Carolina Panthers: Knee Injury
- Earlier in the game Byrd scored on this 103 yard kick off return (Below).
- Many of the Panthers players and staff were singing Byrd's praises and it's safe to say they might miss him in the playoffs.
Joe Mixon, RB Cincinnati, Ankle injury, coming off 2 missed weeks from Concussion
Vontaze Burfict, LB Cincinnati Bengals: Shoulder
Jordan Evans, LB, Cincinnati Bengals: Concussion
- Both players were injured on the same play.
- Is this just Vontaze being Vontaze?
- I'd be curious to get Jordan Evans' opinion.
- In my opinion, Vontaze has himself to blame on this one. He didn't need to stick his nose in there.
Travaris Cadet, RB, Buffalo Bills: Broken Leg (Viewer discretion advised)
- Somewhat discouraging for health & safety fanatics like me... You can't prevent everything.
Jordy Nelson, WR, Green Bay Packers: Shoulder
- Jordy apparently tried to tough it out for a couple of plays before coming to the sidelines.
- No need to push it, especially when your team isn't in playoff contention.
Texans QBs TJ Yates & Taylor Heinicke, Concussions
- Overly cautious after Tom Savage's concussion?
NFL adds neurotrauma consultants as part of revised concussion protocol
The most notable changes in the new protocol, which was distributed publicly by the NFL just prior to Sunday's kickoffs:
A central UNC will be stationed in the NFL's command center to assist in oversight of each game via broadcasts;
Any sign of impact seizure will be considered the same as loss of consciousness and the player will be taken out of the game and may not return;
A referee who removes a player from the game for suspected head trauma must notify the medical staff;
A player who exhibits gross motor instability or significant loss of balance must be taken to the locker room for evaluation if it is not diagnosed as an orthopedic injury;
A player who is evaluated for a concussion must be re-evaluated within 24 hours, even if the player has an off day;
A third UNC will be on site for the playoffs and the Super Bowl, in addition to the two already assigned to each regular-season game.
Seahawks Fined $100,000 for Violation of Concussion Protocol
NFL Could Change Injured Reserve Rule because of Aaron Rodgers
- Say what?!
- Josh explains the current rule and it's original intention for fringe players.
- Week 17 example 7 1 O’Clock Games, 9 4:25 Games, No Sunday or Monday Night.
- Radical Ideas for the future of Scheduling.
- Possible Cons- TV Contract $$.
- John Harbaugh says less fans will be at Ravens-Bengals Sunday after game gets moved to 4:25 on New Years Eve.